Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Christmas Greetings from the Savvy Homegirl With only one day to go before Christmas, I am taking my time today to enjoy the holiday and spend some time at my house before I head to my parent's farm for Christmas.

Once I'm on the road, however, I'll be anxious to get home and immerse myself in the country Christmas traditions that I grew up with. Christmas mass this evening, egg nog and treats at my Grandma's home and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation will undoubtedly be on the itinerary for tonight. My favourite tradition on our farm is Christmas brunch. We take our time milking cows and doing chores in the morning, then come in to a great spread of food - scrambled eggs, pancakes, fruit, yogurt, toast, cheese and fresh coffee.. yumm!

Whatever your traditions are, I wish everyone a wonderful Christmas and a safe holiday season.
If you'd like to include pancakes in your tradition, here is a great recipe that we have been using at the farm for years, and I now make regularly on Sunday mornings by myself.
Oatmeal Pancakes

1 1/2 C oatmeal
2 c milk
Soak oatmeal in milk and let stand for 5-10 minutes.

1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C white flour
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 ts salt
1/2 ts cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together. Beat 2 eggs, 1/4 C melted butter together and pour into the centre of dry mix. Mix well. Add oatmeal mixture and mix until combined.

Heat oil/butter on hot griddle, pour onto griddle.

Chocolate chips or blueberries are favourite additions to these pancakes, but they are also good with banana slices or apples. My favourite way to eat pancakes? Slather them with peanut butter, slice bananas on top, then coat with syrup! YUMMY!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Jen!
    I'll likely be trying this one out Christmas Morning. Merry Christmas!
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome!! Let me know how they turn out! Merry Christmas, Phil!

    ReplyDelete