Sunday, May 9, 2010

New Camera! Canon Powershot SX120 IS

My new camera has arrived! After finally making up my mind, my new camera arrived less than a week after ordering it with Air Miles. I was impressed. Gift cards ordered from Aeroplan have taken at least 4 weeks to arrive, so I was expecting to wait the same for the camera.

I read reviews on nearly every camera option Air Miles has, and I finally settled on the Canon Powershot SX120 IS. It has been on the market longer than some of the others, so it had more reviews and most were positive.

Upon recieving it, my initial impression was it was very light for a larger camera. It's certainly not slim enough to slip in my pocket. The flash needs to be manually lifted, which may or may not be frustrating. It has a large telescoping lens, which has given me problems on my last 2 Canons. However, I have also beat both of those cameras up pretty bad and I vow to take better care of this one.

Despite this, the SX120 takes the same SD Flash Cards and rechargeable batteries as my last camera. It also has a big viewing screen and picture quality with the 10x optical zoom and 10 MP so far has been good. I snapped a few this weekend to test it out.

I took this photo of my flowerbed while sitting on my deck, 50 feet away.


Here are 2 photos I took of the living room. The first with the flash off and the second with it on. I discovered the indoor mode on the camera after I took these, so I'm looking forward to trying it. Most of the photos I take for my blog are indoors, and I struggled to find the right lighting balance in the past.


I tried to take a photo of Penny and Fergie on Auto mode, but it didn't capture the movement well. It doesn't seem to have a mode to capture movement, but I don't think I ever used this mode on my old camera anyway.

Since arriving at the farm this weekend, I took several baby pictures on Auto, which turned out lovely with the flash. I didn't even use the face recognition feature, which I'm looking forward to.  I do think a small, compact camera would have been nice also, but I might have sacrificed some quality. Overall, I am very happy with the camera so far. True, I didn't "pay"anything for it, so it's hard not to be happy. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found the right camera! Your outside picture looked great so bet you will get just the right photos... There is never one perfect camera or at least I have never found one!

    ReplyDelete