Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Country Touches in My Bland Kitchen

It struck me with great satisfaction the other day how things in life just 'come together'.

Over the past few years, I've recognized unmistakably that I'm drawn to rustic, cottage styles. While I like the clean lines and colour coordination of modern styles, when it comes down to actual decor, I find myself gravitating towards white paneling, cobalt blue china, antiqued furniture and barn board.

Despite not having a grand budget to transform my little home immediately, I noticed how it's starting to take on a charm of its own. I use the word "charm" quite loosely, but I have noticed a few little nooks and crannies take on the rustic, cottage fashion I've come to adore. This little kitchen corner is but one example.

Cobalt blue and a few cookbooks dress up my kitchen

A couple blue and white plates found at Value Village, some cookbooks, and a colander doubling as a fruit bowl have turned this corner from cluttered to charming. I've found I now make more effort to clean off this area of the counter, because I enjoy seeing this decor so much more. It's like I'm a little kid again, and I've just rearranged my room and promised my mom I'll keep it clean because the change is so intriguing. I'm sure it will wear off, but for now, I'm enjoying this small level of organization!

1 comment:

  1. The blue pieces look lovely on your counter. I love country blue and use it some also... you can use the blue plates with most any colors which is nice.

    ReplyDelete