Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Living Room Redo Featuring My Free Table!

I can not recall the last time I shared a photo of my living room. Needless to say, while it's comfortable, I certainly never felt like I'd stepped out of House & Home Magazine when I walked in the door. It took me some digging to even find this photo:


A few week ago, some may recall me tweeting about my new kitchen table. It was on my 'to buy' list, at one time, I considered cashing in some Air Miles for a bar table and stools, and most recently, I'd decided to build one with plans from Knock Off Wood.

Well, table woes no more. As fate would have it, on a beautiful Friday afternoon I was driving home from work, chatting with my mom on the phone, when there!

There. It. Was.

Sitting on the side of the road with a "FREE" sign taped to the top. A beautiful, winged, hardwood table with 5 chairs.

"No way," I thought. I slowed right down, told my mom I had to go because there was a free kitchen table on the side of the road, and pulled a 'u-ey' right there. Within 15 minutes, bf and my (AWESOME) neighbours were there, we were dismantling the legs and loading the table and chairs into their SUV. The rest, as they say, is history.

With some inspiration from  Young House Love, I pushed the table up against my 'gallery wall' and created a mini dining area in my living room. After hours of rearranging- I basicalled moved everything out of the living room and started with a clean sheet- I have a new layout that is functional and still comfortable. Add the RIBBA frame from IKEA and two $50 slip covers, and I've done a mini makeover!


Sure, I could use a little more decluttering. I may refinish and 'antique' the table and coffee table, and my EXPEDIT shelf doesn't really fit, but I now have a place to eat when I have company over for dinner or a comfortable area to entertain or lounge around. All for the low cost of $130 (for the frame and slipcovers)!

It just goes to show that sometimes, you're better off to save your money and see what better (or free) comes along later!

3 comments:

  1. Jen - first off, your living room looks great (I love Ribba frames too!)...second, I'm killing myself laughing because I have the EXACT same coffee table at my place. Wedding gift to parents circa 1978? Check! I've considered painting it, but can't bring myself to do it. It has all of our little teeth marks in it from when we were babies and dings and bumps from jumping on it and driving cars on it. Glad I'm not a lone with my "shabby chique" decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so close, Krista! I think it was a gift to my aunt & uncle, who passed it onto me a few years ago when they sold their cottage! It's in the same condition however, for the same reasons. I remember playing on it at my cousin's house as a child!! Shabby chique is the way to go... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky are to to find a free table and chairs that are so cute!! I love great finds, but have never had one this good... your room looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete