Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 3 of the Brier, Feeling the Canadian Pride!

Truthfully, this is actually my FIRST day at the Brier, although the event is well underway here in Halifax. After two years of taking in the whole shebang, I opted for a shorter version this year. While patially by choice, it was absolutely with regrets when I learned Team Martin, better known to most across this great nation as Gold medallists, Team Canada, would be in town for the opening weekend.

I missed a 'gong show', according to the The Curling News and my event liaison. People lined up around the block and chaos ensued wherever they went. I would've loved to get a photo with the team, but mobs of people just arn't my thing. Of course, I could've pulled the VIP Sponsor card, but what kind of a person would I be then? Jumping the line 'because I'm a sponsor' and thus, disallowing some other very patient fan their turn? Morally, I couldn't do it, not to mention how bad it would look on the company.

Who knows.. the curling world is not that big. I may get another chance to hold the gold medal and shake the guys' hands. For now, I'm excited to share a little family Olympic brag moment. Gold medalist, Canadian Ice Dancer Scott Moir grew up in the same town as my Grandparents and went to the school where my aunt teaches. He stopped in last week to visit and "let his medal go around the gym just like a new puppy," said my aunt. Her students sent Scott letters of support while he was in Vancouver.

My aunt and the school administrater pose with Scott Moir and his gold medal last week.

Isn't it cool how Canadians everywhere feel like these Olympics connected us? Even cooler is how the athletes also feel so much appreciation for the fans and want to share their medals in return. I truly hope this Canadian pride lingers. In fact, I hope Canadians are forever changed. Why not be just a little prouder? It really is the coolest thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment