Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Day at the Market

It is fast becoming routine for me, that a Ladybug Pastries and Crepesweekend in Calgary is not complete without a trip to the Calgary Farmers Market !

Well laid out and laden with incredible rustic atmosphere, I really believe that it is destination for most market-goers. The aisles bustle with folks just like me, sipping their PHIL & SEBASTIAN java, browsing the vendors, and sampling Simple Simon Pies, delicious hummus and organic juices.


You learn so much just by taking it all in and talking to the vendors and fellow customers in line Phil & Sebastian Coffee Companyto buy Alberta carrots and cucumbers (in March!). For me, it was almost saddening to have to pass up all the wonderful produce, frozen meat pies and homemade sausage. Yet, I did still manage to empty my pockets of all cash and change (only select vendors accept plastic). Alberta and imported vegetables for sale

Tulips to brighten my hotel room, cranberry trail mix (Going Nuts), homemade Poppycock, BC Fuji apples, and a wonderful, little pecan tart should keep me going for a few days at least. A few tulips to brighten my hotel room

After an hour of wandering and sampling, my appetite for lunch was nearly quenched, so I grabbed a bowl of Carrot Ginger soup from the stock and sauce co. for the road. An afternoon snack perhaps?

Some of my favourite non-foody vendors? Check out Rainbow Glass for beautiful, hand painted stemware, carafes, oil and vinegar bottles, Eden Essentials for natural and green bath & body and cleaning products, and Bon a Pet Treat for some goodies for your four-legged friends! What about your favourite finds at your local market?

1 comment:

  1. Since writing this post, I came across more praise for Phil & Sebastian Coffee Compnay in the March/April 2009 where Calgary magazine.

    I learned that Phil Robertson, co-owner of P&S with Sebastian Sztabzyb, placed 5th in the 2008 Canadian Barista Championship. Perhaps as interesting to me - there is a Barista Competition!

    I think I'll return next weekend to enjoy another award-worthy brewed latte!

    ReplyDelete