Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cookies Without White Sugar


I had such a desire to make chocolate chip cookies the other night after dinner. I pored over my cookbooks for THE ultimate chocolate chip recipe, grabbed my mixing bowl, melted my butter and WHAM! I had no white sugar! Every recipe called for white sugar!

Easily defeated, yet still completely unsatisfied, I settled onto the couch to watch Grey's Anatomy and drink my wine. When I awoke yesterday morning, the desire to make cookies was still there. Wide awake at 5:30am (an absolute first for me this fall!), I flipped through my book again and found it. A recipe without white sugar:

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies courtesy of Agnes Bregman from Bruce County!

1 small C butter (not sure how you can have a small cup.. but whatever)
1 1/2 C brown sugar (I only used 1 1/4 and you could likely get away with just one)
1 egg
1 C all-purpose flour
1 1/4 C oatmeal
3/4 C coconut
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

I added 2/3 C butterscotch chips.

Bake on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees F.

These were amazing! I took them to work and everyone raved about them. They spread out a lot when they bake, so they are these delectable, thin cookies. Be sure not to over bake and they will maintain some softness too!!

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment