Sunday, August 2, 2009

My First Attempt at Cake Pops

WARNING - Final photo may be inappropriate for children or those without a sense of humour!

The Bachelorette with her cake popI did it! I managed to find enough time to try my own cake pops.. er, should I say 'boobie balls' as my bachelorette coined them!

Yes, it may be a little inappropriate or just downright silly, but when planning my first venture into cake pops, it was suggested I try making 'boobs'. Afterall, it would save me some time shaping the pops. Not to mention, be extra entertaining for my friend's bachelorette party!





Recently, I've been checking out some baking blogs, and I love Bakerella's cute little cake pops. I followed her instructions here. I also snapped a few pics along the way to show you how it went!

Being a bit of a Betty from time to time, I opted Finished chocolate cake in Pampered Chef Stonewareto bake my own chocolate cake rather than use a box. A little ironic, I was too lazy to go buy boxed mix when I had everything to make a homemade cake in my pantry already. I found a recipe in one of my IPM (International Plowing Match - like a country fair that moves from county to county each year) cookbook for "Our Favourite Chocolate Cake". It was so moist and worked really well for the cake pops.





Our Favourite Chocolate Cake - From Greenwood Court, Stratford, Ontario

2 C flour
2 C sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 C cocoa
1 C salad oil (I used canola because I like it better than olive oil in my baking)
2 eggs
1 C hot coffee

Instructions: Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the liquid ingredients in the order of oil, milk, eggs, adding coffee last. Batter will be thin. Grease two 9" pans or a 9"x13" pan and place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

My favourite part of making these was definately ripping the cake up and mixing it together with the icing! Mmmm... It doesn't seem like you're eating a whole piece of cake when you're eating spoonfuls from a bowl! I used the same icing recipe that Bakerella suggests. Notice my ANCIENT mixer. This was a wedding gift my mom recieved 29 years ago! She passed it along to me when I gave her a much-needed new one last Christmas. The speeds only work intermittantly, but it still does the job!


Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting


Chocolate Cake ripped up to mix with icing















After rolling into balls and cooling in the fridge, the cake was ready to be dipped in pink chocolate! I bought white and pink chocolate merkins, or candy wafers, from the Bulk Barn. After melting the white wafers on medium heat in the microwave (stir often to avoid burning), I added some pink and heated again to give the chocolate a pink tinge.


Boobie balls all done
Here the finished cake pops, decorated with a little extra icing and butterscotch chips. They were a hit, and half the girls took home extras for their husbands and fiancés!

1 comment: