Monday, July 6, 2009

Refreshing Iced Tea Recipe

Homemade Frozen Iced Tea Mix
On a hot summer day (which we have not had enough of yet), there is nothing more refreshing, or nostalgic for me, than a tall glass of iced tea. As it seems, I share this sentiment with many others; the current poll on Homemakers.com asks for readers favourite summer drink. Thus far, Iced tea is the most popular choice, beating out beer, lemonade, slushy daiquiris and pina coladas.

Finally into the summer swing of things, I decided to whip up a batch of frozen iced tea mix this weekend. I remember my mother making big tubs and freezing them when I was growing up. Not seeing the need to add water, I used to steal the tubs and eat the mix with a spoon. It really is yummy, but I now opt for mixing it with water as it was originally intended!

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it out for yourself! It's very easy and will last this savvy, single homegirl all summer!

Frozen Iced Tea Mix

1 24oz unsweetened lemon juice
4 C sugar (I only used 2)
1 C cold water
10 teabags (I used 8) seeped in 3 cups of boiling water

Steep tea for 10-15 minutes (or longer depending on desired strength - I think you can use fewer teabags if you steep longer also). Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add cold water and lemon juice. Freeze or refrigerate.

1 inch of mix (I tablespoon) + cup water for iced tea. I just mix to taste.

I have yet to try it yet, but I think this would be great with a shot of rum and coke for a different version of Long Island Iced Tea!


Do you have any favourite summer drinks?

1 comment:

  1. I love lemonade, but haven't had a chance to get out to the store and pick some up yet.

    ReplyDelete