Monday, June 8, 2009

I Have Bees! Yikes!

Wasp nestCheck out this little treasure I discovered in my backyard this weekend! If you have never seen one before, this is none other than a HUGE wasp nest. All those little brown things, those are wasps. Yes, that is correct. Those long, skinny bees, with even longer and nastier stingers!

I had a small nest under the garage roof overhang I knocked down earlier this spring, and it appears that the creatures decided to take up residence elsewhere. This is in the hedge directly beside my vegetable garden. YIKES!

I was ready to arm myself with aerosol wasp-killing foam today to take care of them tonight when I get home. The key is to wait until its cooler in the evenings, because the wasps go inside the nest and are less active. My neighbours may already have taken care of the problem however. They left me a note about calling a beekeeper to come for the nest. Do beekeepers look after wasps? I guess I'll find out when I get home tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment