Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I Was the Girl That Bought a Playbook This Morning

SURPRISE!




I bought a Blackberry Playbook today!  


Isn't it pretty inside its box! I like the blue!


There's even 'no brainer' instructions. 

I got to step 3 and now I'm waiting for it to download 750 MB of updates. Yes, 750 MB on a 16 GB machine! Yikes! I hope this is doesn't preface what my Playbook experience is going to be like. 

As it would've seemed this morning, I appear to be the only person that bought one. I should have taken pictures. Imagine if you will, when I pre-ordered my Playbook on Saturday, the sales associate assured me this would guarantee I don't need to stand in line when they open at 7 AM. "Perfect," I think.  "I can pick it up before work." I roll in at 7:15AM this morning to a parking lot more deserted than a school yard in July. 

No line. In fact, 2 sales associates actually came outside to greet me with open arms. Oh wait, no, they were having a cigarette. It was like a dream walking into the store. All the red-clad reps waiting in a line at the door. "Are you here for a Playbook?" 

I actually felt slightly pathetic for them. Then, I felt pathetic for myself. Am I the only person that wanted this thing I was willing to come at 7? Where were the door crashers? I got back in my car, and thought, where is the hype? I heard all about the date the iPad 2 was released? Nobody mentioned the Playbook once.

Turns out some TV crews even went out to stores to find they were empty. Look at this, 3 people?



The only story I could find about lineups on Google was from the Waterloo Record - RIM's hometown. I'm guessing this isn't the welcome RIM was hoping for. With their tight-lipped updates and the official announcement of it's release date 2 weeks ago, my gut tells me they were hoping for more excited customers. 

Regardless, I'm excited! The updates are done, so I'm going to go PLAY! 

7 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! You must be so thrilled to have it in your hands now.

    Did you have an ipad before this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO jealous. I so want the Playbook. More than the iPad. Admittedly apple has more apps but I think the playbook does flash which is BIG to me. I think Apple does a better ad campaign with their release date whereas RIM was always soft spoken about it hence no one is that aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo... a couple days with the Playbook, and I am liking it more and more each day. I am eagerly awaiting more apps though. There really isn't much. The video is super and it does have Flash! It took some getting used to the touchscreen, because neither my phone nor iPod were touch, but I think I have the hang of it. I really wish it had 3G, but I wasn't waiting any longer for it (I hear 3G will be out this summer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anxious to hear how you like it. I know it will be fun and you will enjoy it.. I have an iPad, but would love any of them on market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say..I love mine..helps if you bridge with a BB phone. New apps everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a few days or weeks of its launched, news has it that people did line up to get one. So, how'd you find it so far? One of the best things about it (together with their phones) is the apps. It really has everything from games to internet stuff and even to apps for the serious entrepreneurs and companies. Its appearance is quite sexy too.

    ReplyDelete