Monday, November 8, 2010

Make Over My Kitchen? Yes, Please!

I entered the Home Hardware Dream Kitchen Makeover this weekend. You may be familiar with the contest. Anna Olson has been promoting it on TV for weeks now.

I am not sure if I've staked my claim to Home Hardware in the past, but I prefer it over Home Depot. There is a convenience factor; there is a store around the corner. My store is definitely not a big box store. The selection is limited, but that doesn't bother me, because they're helpful. It's a novel concept. A DIY store that has knowledgeable people to assist.

Nothing drives me crazier than asking for an opinion or help and getting "I don't know." Even worse, is when you can see the associate is frantically looking for the information to appear out of the air, in order to provide what might, by some meager attempt, seem like advice. My questions aren't even hard! I'm only doing minor maintenance and repair. The Home Hardware folks have never let me down with their assistance.

Naturally, all this talk about helpful 'Home'owners has me thinking about the kitchen they could install for this homegirl.  A little dreaming never hurts right?


If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. I love white kitchens. I love these snazzy drawer organizers too. This would take care of the hideous mess of a spice cupboard I have today.


I would be more likely to choose the Stratford-style cabinets. This style has that cottage-like look I absolutely love. 
Here's a similar style, a la Ikea.  Oooohh and that sink...

I would opt for chalkboard paint on a pantry door, however, just to mix it up a little. 

For my sink, I love this Moen faucet with the pull down wand and Granitek double sink.


How about this beautiful corner buffet from Home Furniture? Wouldn't it be beautiful, loaded with cobalt blue china? I guess it's extraneous I don't have a corner to put it in.

Or perhaps, this distressed buffet and a rustic brown harvest table? Home Furniture has some beautiful pieces. They have an exhibit at the International Plowing Match & Rural Expo every fall, and I usually have to stop myself from drooling on the kitchen sets!

Check out this set, saved in my 'Inspiration Binder' from their catalog a few years back. Mmmm. Love.


Now all I need is Home Hardware to pick my entry, and my sad kitchen can be transformed!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I love white kitchens too, but I hated the cheesy melamine cabinets and the painted wood ones cost as much as stained wood, so when it came down to it I went with wood, figuring that when it gets dated I can paint it white (a classic). I hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise an interesting point, Amanda. I think if I had a big kitchen, I'd be more likely to go for wood & granite. I think it would be too overpowering in my little nook of a kitchen though. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete